Time: 30 minutes
- 40g butter
- 20g flour
- 200ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g grated cheddar or gruyere or a mix of both
- 4 large slices of Brady Family Ultimate Slice Ham
- 4 slices of medium thick white sourdough (even sizes)
- Coarse salt, coarse black pepper
- Pickles to serve or micro greens/cress
- Preheat the grill if using (or oven to 200C (400F).
- Melt the butter in a pot over a medium heat. Brush one side of each slice of bread. Place butter side up under the grill to toast. Alternatively, just toast the bread in a toaster and then brush one side of each slice with butter (optional).
- Need oven tray, baking paper, pastry brush (silicone) and pot.
- Add milk to the pot, whisk to combine. Stir in the mustard and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add a small amount of the béchamel to two slices of bread, the un-toasted side.
- Add 1/2 the ham to each of the two slices, top with 1/4 of the cheese on each (reserving the rest for on top).
- Top with bread, toasted side facing up. Spread the top with some of the béchamel. Top with remaining cheese divided between each. Grill for 3 – 5 minutes, keeping a close eye or bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Allow Croque Monsieur to cool for 2 – 3 minutes before slicing in half.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and coarse salt before serving.